Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Wedding out West

A week ago, I made my first trip to Utah. A friend of mine was getting married in Park City. This was a very non-Mormon wedding, in case you are curious.

Saturday was mostly spent in the air or on the road. I was heading for BWI (Baltimore Washington International) by 330am. We took off around 7, and I hopped around to Vegas, Phoenix, and then to Salt Lake City. That night we had a fairly tame “bachelor party”. It entailed little more than an embarrassing outfit for the groom-to-be and a trip to Main St to visit a couple pubs and bars.

Sunday we jolfed…or tried to. Those of us who could keep under 80 or 90 did, I was not among the elite. Despite my hackery, I enjoyed the beautiful non-humid sunniness of the area. The venue: a fantastic layout of green amongst hill sides of brown brush. The Pete Dye course at Promontory is long. I played from the 2nd longest tees, and it was still probably about 7600 yds. I will admit the ball does travel farther than to what I’m accustomed. Most of the holes were fair and fun. The 299 yd par 3 was a bit daunting due to 260 or so yards being all carry over a canyon of tangled flora. My shot du jour was an uphill decelerating double tap (or hit and carry) flop shot. ..not good for the score, but good for laughs.


Hole 2



Have enough club?




My retirement home?

The early part of Monday, we toured the Olympic Park from the ’02 winter games. The highlights were riding a rolling sled down a twisting chute, and seeing the skiing tricksters practice aerial maneuvers into a bubbling pool at the end of the jumps. Later, we attended a wonderful wedding and reception. (the real reason for the trip)

Summary: Great trip, fun, and memories with a few familiar faces from good ole MethCo.

2 comments:

Justin said...

Rubbish, eh? As in waste materials that don't tend to decay? Sounds scenic. At least it wasn't pure garbage!

Atticus Finch said...

Rubbish as in something rejected out of worthlessness. I'll admit, it was a loose usage, but they weren't going to use briers and browned-out shrubs for anything other than filling space. Thanks for keeping me honest... I hate you. No, really...I do