Thursday, September 27, 2007

Office Spaced Out

Seeing as how I have crap nothing to do, I’ll air out my laundry to you, the reader. Laundry, here, being the operative term for my job, and the absence of activity being the mustiness of which it must be rid.



This, my current and last training rotation, is likely the least productive to date. During my first few days, I attended meetings, read briefs to gain information on this organization, and began a little project. This project was to be a fact finder and explain the benefits of new inventory planning software to my supervisor and his boss. After being met with some resistance from my primary contact, a colleague and I headed to Philly to attend a class on the subject. It was a day out of the office, but the valuable info was sparse. The following day, we created a presentation to convey the purpose, pros, and cons of the system. That was about three weeks ago and I have yet to present it to anyone. My only other ongoing task is to report last night’s baseball scores to my boss. In my surplus of time, I must do something other than sleep.

Wednesday the 19th, was the Employee Appreciation Day for my home office. They rescued me from my current cubicle to partake in the picnic and accompanying festivities. The Directorate Cup, an interdepartmental competition, was composed of a three-legged race, two relays, a x-country skiing race, and a cake eating contest. Our office won for the second straight year.

I have read/ skimmed through many an online article relating to various topics, e.g. the FedEx Cup, the UK, super-string theory, anatomy, new movies, motorcycles (keep dreaming) etc. Other than that, I mainly frequent eBay and also hope for Tuesday to arrive with a new episode of House. This, of course, is of slightly lesser priority than reaching the weekend. I hate to wish my life away. So, I’ll say that I anticipate the weekends yet try to enjoy the days betwixt them.

Something to ponder: Does freedom = power? Is someone who desires to be able to act, dress, speak, and do as they please... 1) thirsting for power or 2) seeking freedom from structure and regulations imposed? Think of this within a completely legal and moral framework.

Additionally, if anyone knows of a non-teaching job that involves creative thinking/ problem solving, let me know. If it includes helping people…bonus points. For now, I’ll return to the review questions for my class.

No comments: