Thursday, August 16, 2007

Not the Usual Excuse... and time out of PA

Typically, I don’t have anything worth posting. This time, however, I’ve wanted to mention a few things for the past several weeks and just haven’t had the opportunity.

The last two full weeks of July were spent on a command inspection of Fleet Industrial Supply Center Puget Sound, a Naval facility in Bremerton WA. The base itself was nothing to see. The buildings and layout were very drab. The highlights were its well furnished fitness center and the Sam Adams Brewhouse just across the street from the quarters at which we stayed. Despite being the “dry” season, it was cool, rainy, and gloomy for the first week we were there. Eventually this gave way to some pleasant, sunny days in the high 70s. Washington being called “The Evergreen State” is quite apropos. Evergreens and lush flora cover every mountain and hillside in sight. That is, of course, except the snow-capped peak of Mt Rainier jutting enormously into the sky as if it were so much closer than it really is. I toured Seattle and the campus of U Dub. The city is cool, in general. Watching the fish being tossed about at Pike Place Market is a standard attraction. Shops, clubs, bars, and cafés line the main thoroughfares. Before I left, I had some Irish fare at Fado Irish Pub. I find myself quickly becoming a fan of ciders i.e. Magners (Bulmers in Ireland), Woodchuck, and Strongbow. I recommend Magners the most. This makes me very much want to take a trip to Quip’s for wing night. Mmmm…

Following the two weeks in the Northwest, I went on vacation with my family and girlfriend. It was a good time in Ocean City MD. Time was spent playing some golf, getting mildly sunburned, playing cards, and walking the boards.

No comments: