Wednesday, January 3, 2007

The Holiday Report

What to do in Eastern New Los Santa Harrisontonburgvillefieldcesteria...


Harrisburg… can it be, this is the city which I see?




I spent the past week and a half in and around the not-so-blooming metropoleis of Allentown and Harrisburg PA. It was filled with the usual holiday hecticness that comes from visiting a familiar area for a brief time. There were people to visit, Church services to attend, parties at which to make an appearance, and quality time to spend with those to whom I am closest. Failing to make the to-do list was watching the Strawberry drop at Strawberry Square in downtown H-burg.

A few things of note:

  • Ice skating isn’t what it used to be. When you are 9 years old and all you want to do is weave between adults doing Mach 1 in an endless oval, the 2 hours allotted for public-skate is barely enough. However, at the feeble age of 23, I find that the activity is more a romantic setting for conversation, a mild challenge, some physical activity, and an opportunity to get cold and thirsty. After an hour of this, you and your date will have a tired right leg (assuming the typical counter-clockwise loop) and the desire to go elsewhere to sit down and warm up. May I suggest skiing or, if you must, snowboarding. Albeit not as economical, the lifts provide some repose for chit chat and more exhilaration exists during the descent. If weather and/ or location decrease the feasibility of said activity, I can’t help you. Or maybe I’m just tired of thinking about it…

  • Thing of note #2 – I have no idea what it was.

  • Here’s an impromptu #3 – Rocky MMMCXCVII or something like that was ok. I liked the first 4. The latest, not greatest, had one major problem. I couldn’t look at Rocky as a character. I could not see him as the portrayal of a retired boxer turned restaurateur. I saw the man on the screen as Sylvester Stallone, dressed down and with an accent that is not quite his own. It was mildly interesting with a feel-good conclusion.

Upon my return to Cleveland, I found that I would have an extra day of vacation. The gov was in mourning on the day of its recently deceased 38th President, Gerald Ford. That’s not super exciting, just worthy of rubbing in everyone’s face.

1 comment:

Justin said...

I gave my date a tired right leg, and it wasn't from ice skating. Hey-O!

Just kidding, but seriously, she limped for at least two days.