Tuesday, January 16, 2007

DrMLKJr Day, Strip Malls, and my car.

Let’s take a journey…shall we? This account is a factual review of my holiday weekend. I’ll choose to focus much more so on the holiday than the weekend.

Saturday and Sunday were very typical. Activities included going to the mall, watching TV, attending church, cooking, eating, and sleeping.


Yesterday, as many of you know, was recognized as a holiday in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday. The gov had the day off. …but not me. That is to say, I wasn’t at work, but it certainly was no vacation. The bird, in all of her glory, needed a water pump. It’s a time consuming repair, but it’s mostly covered under the warranty. I figured my day off would be the ideal time to have this done, thus resulting in the least inconvenience. Ha! There’s a strip mall a mile from the shop. I thought I could kill a few hours there until I was “go for launch”. I was dropped off at a coffee shop at about 8:45 am. There, as I nursed my beverage for the next 30 minutes, I read part of the Cliff’s Notes for All the King’s Men. Not much can be said for the plot, as my brief time committed to the subject was merely enough to be introduced to the main characters and the setting. I replaced the pamphlet taken from the bookshelf and made my way down the side walk. I took note of movie show times and continued forth to Circuit City. However, CC doesn’t open until 10 and it was still a half hour until then. I went to the neighboring grocery store and read magazines until I was assured that I would be granted access to CC. As per usual, I bought nothing. I stuck to meandering and looking at things of interest for about an hour. At this point I revisited the AMC theatre for the 11:20 showing of The Pursuit of Happyness.


It’s the predictable, heart-warming, inspirational, pursue your dreams, rags to riches story that I suspected, but it did burn up nearly 2 hours for less than the price of a rental at Blockbuster. Following that, about an hour was devoted to ambling through TJMaxx, talking on the phone with my girlfriend, and negotiating and setting up future service with Comcast. Why you say?


…duh. My 2:30 lunchtime was spent at Applebee’s where I can now say with conviction, “Don’t order the blackened Tilapia sandwich.” I generally like the seasoning/cooking style associated with “blackened”, but that generalization failed this go-round. (I could make a much better tuna sandwich at home.) I then returned to the CC and further perused everything from my first trip. There are only so many times you want to play the motocross-esque demo on PS3 or the same 4 holes on Tiger Woods 07 for XBOX 360. This amusement fatigue also extends to looking at TVs, radar detectors, notebook computers, CDs, DVDs, and the Bose surround sound station. I then proceeded to Lowe’s for the remaining hour of my day. I am not yet excitable by carpet swatches or bathroom fixtures. Thus, it was quite boring. Exhaustion took over, and I sat down until it was time to get a ride back to the shop. An employee picked me up at 6ish. What a wonderful way to spend 10 hours on a holiday. Aren’t you jealous?

Despite the time I was able to pass by drafting this at work, I'm tired now. Good bye.


2 comments:

Justin said...

I'm not sure if you know this, but a Firebird is pretty the worst car ever made, ranking above a Kia Optima, yet not quite as high as a Pontiac Aztec. Enjoy that classic American muscle, tool.

Atticus Finch said...

Aside from the smoothness of the ride, the sound system, the lack of squeaks and rattles, and the manual transmission, your car has very few even mildly redeeming features. My car had it's day. Back then, a vette would have been about the only "affordable", superior vehicle. How can you compete with a V8 and T-tops?