Friday, June 29, 2007

Mental Escape from Office Drudgery


…with nothing to do, here I sit. Bored. Bored senseless. Bored out of my gourd. Yes…bored.

This week has been anticlimactic. Monday was shortened only by the need to drive to Crystal City that afternoon. Tuesday’s class, that necessitated the aforementioned trip, was a waste of a day. I did refrain, somehow, from becoming overly antsy in the class or from being in an ongoing argument with the presenter. …all of this frustration over a likely soon-to-be-implemented pay system that has the great concept of pay for performance combined with a lack of checks and balances, the deprivation of ways a person can increase his or her salary in a short period of time, an obvious deficit of input from Joe Schmo, and way too much bureaucratic group-think with congratulatory back-patting before program flaws have been investigated - let alone remedied. Wednesday and Thursday somehow passed without much fuss. Today, however, is different. The morning crawled at a snails pace…actually, slower. I enjoyed a break from my corner at lunch and visited Subway. At this point, I still have 2.25 hrs to endure. I have fired up Launch as TV-Links is no longer my working-day friend. Nearly every link I click and option I choose is met by (a) the need to download a media player, (b) an error, or (c) oblivion – in which a window opens but nothing ever loads. TV-links presents another problem. (2 to be exact) If I get enthralled, I am not likely to hear someone coming behind me. I don’t really want to be found watching House reruns or Fight Club (if I could get the friggin’ thing to work!). The alternative, listening to a program, is very much less interesting and is therefore unacceptable. The other problem is that Big Brother is watching. High bandwidth usage is a red flag, and as much as I might complain, I’d rather be employed than not…

This weekend is currently being viewed with much anticipation and optimism. One of the certain highlights is it is three days long. I love taking off of work. Monday will be spent hacking my way through a 36-hole marathon. Even if I average 95 per 18 holes, the day’s rating will soar far above that of office drudgery. Mt Valley beckons me…and I shall not resist.

#6 on the "Maple" nine

No comments: